Our tour begins and ends in Madrid. Cumulatively, you will have several days to explore the city. We will visit the old city, containing remnants of Muslim era monuments, and the newer areas of the city which demonstrate impressive architecture and design. You will have a chance to become acquainted with Spanish cuisine, and stroll along the boulevards of the city.
We will visit some or all of the following places. You may wish to spend more time at the following points of interest:
- the Plaza Mayor, a large enclosed square with restaurants and cafes. In past times, it was a site of Inquisition proceedings, bullfights, tournaments and festivals.
- the Cibeles fountain and other fountains around the city, plus other monumental architecture such as the Central Post Office.
- the Gran Via, Madrid's major street lined with boutiques, cinemas, cafes etc.
- the world famous Prado Museum, housing over 7,000 paintings. Contains many famous works of Spanish masters Velazquez, Goya, El Greco, and Murillo, plus works of other famous European painters.
- the Reina Sofia Museum, where Pablo Picasso's famous painting Guernica is on display.
- the Plaza Monumental de Toros de las Ventas, the the major bullfighting arena in Madrid.